Cleaning out the fridge, last weekend, produced an odd assortment of veggies. There weren’t enough for one proper recipe but that got me thinking – what could I make if I threw them all in together.
Here’s what they turned into – mini courgette (aka zucchini) and red pepper bites.
Perfect for a lovely light dinner with a refreshing salad and a tall, cool glass of minty apple lemonade.
We’re celebrating the last of the summer evenings!
2-3 courgettes, grated
3-4 green onions, chopped fine
2 pods garlic, lightly crushed
1 tsp dill, roughly chopped
1 red pepper, diced and lightly roasted
1 potato, boiled and mashed
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup cheese, parmesan
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Equipment: 1 muffin tin, greased
1. Saute the garlic in hot oil. The add the chopped onions, red pepper and courgettes. Saute for about 5-10minutes till the pepper and onions are softened. Cool.
2. Mix the above veggies with the mashed potatoes. Add the dill, salt, pepper, cheese and breadcrumbs. Knead well and shape into patties.
3. Press the patties lightly in to the greased muffin tin. If you are using the cupcake cases, lightly grease them too.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C / 350 F / gas 4 for about 25 minutes rotating the trays around and across shelves to ensure even baking.
5. Serve hot with a relish or tomato ketchup and add a tall glass of lemonade to beat the heat.
What exciting dinners do you have planned this week?
Notes: The cupcake cases are great for serving these as appetisers. Keeps the hands clean..ish.