If you’re looking for a pastry free, healthy and tasty dessert, Rum baked bananas tick all the right boxes.
This is a super quick recipe that doesn’t need you to go shopping to make dessert. Of course, rum is a store cupboard essential!
I made this as a romantic sharing dessert but you could easily bake it an large baking dish to feed a crowd.
1 heaped tablespoon brown sugar
20 ml dark rum
2 teaspoons butter
zest of 1/4 orange and 1/4 cup orange juice (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 7 (425 F). Meanwhile, peel the bananas and cut them lengthwise.
2. In a greased ovenproof dish, sprinkle half the sugar and lay the bananas over it.
3. Dot the bananas with butter. Sprinkle the rest of the sugar and the orange zest (if using).
4. Pour over the rum and all the orange juice (if using).
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until the bananas are soft.
6. You could sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar again and stick it under the grill for the sugar to caramelise or use a blowtorch. (This step is optional)
7. Serve hot with cream or ice cream. Equally good to dip in and enjoy as they are.