Loads of stars are about to peep out of my oven, so I’ve got my list of wishes ready and waiting.
Have you wished upon a star before? What wishes do you want your stars to bring you?
160 grams all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon roasted and roughly crushed cumin seeds
85 grams lightly salted butter, softened
225 grams mature cheddar, finely grated
2 tablespoons ice cold water
Cookie cutters (I used stars), baking trays, soft butter for greasing the baking trays, parchment paper
Makes: 20-24, depending on the size of the cookie cutter
1. Lightly grease and paper the baking trays and keep aside.
2. Mix together the flour, salt, paprika and cumin seeds. Add the butter and mix with finger tips until combined. Add the cheddar and mix some more, taking care to combine but not knead. Add the ice cold water and combine until the dough gathers into a ball.
3. Now knead the dough lightly. Roll the dough evenly about 0.5 cm thick and shape into a disc. Chill the disc for an hour or two.
4. Use cookie cutters to cut out the stars or any other shape you choose. Place the stars on baking trays.
5. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3 (160 C or 325 F).
6. Place the baking trays in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until they are golden.
7. Cool the stars on wire racks. These will turn crisp when they are cool.
8. Enjoy fresh and if you have any left, store them in airtight containers!