It doesn’t really matter what you choose to put into your Kathi Roll. It’s a bit like choosing sandwich fillings. Just go with whatever you fancy.
If you want anchovies and jam …go for it. It might find a place in Ripley’s Believe it or Not but why do you care?
Anyway, if you’re interested in the fillings I used, read on.
150 grams cooked chicken, shredded (leftover tandoori chicken works really well)
150 grams paneer marinated and sautéed
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 large tomato, chopped
1 green chilli, slit in half
a handful of green coriander and mint, chopped fine
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder or chaat masala
1. Heat the oil. Sizzle the chilli in it until the oil is fragrant. Sauté the onion in the oil.
2. When the onion turns light brown, add in the tomatoes, spices and salt.
3. When the onion-tomato mix is soft and the spices are well incorporated, add in the chicken or the paneer. Mix well so that the chicken or paneer is well coated with the onion-tomato-spices mix.
4. Turn off the heat and add in the chopped coriander-mint and mix well.
5. The Kathi roll filling is ready to go.
This is just one of the fillings you can make. Give free rein to your imagination.