The decadence of the last week has prompted me to turn to a lighter recipe to kick-start Week 2 of the A-Z Challenge.
Honey is healthy isn’t it? And figs, they count towards 1 of your 5 a day! Healthy box ticked 🙂
So here they are, oven roasted figs with honey and a gentle kick of spice to liven it up.
5 -6 figs
2 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon of vanilla
seeds from 2 cardamom pods, lightly bashed
1 tablespoon of butter, melted and slightly warm
1. Quarter the figs by slitting them from stem to base taking care not to cut all the way through.
2. Arrange them tightly in a deep oven proof bowl.
3. Mix together the honey, butter, cardamom seeds and vanilla. Warm the resulting syrup ever so lightly, to release the flavours.
4. Pour this mixture over the figs and bake for about 20 minutes till the figs are soft.
5. Serve warm with creme fraiche or greek yogurt. You could also chill them and serve them as they are.
A perfect end to a summer meal.
1. My friends and fellow bloggers in India, this syrup reminds me of the Kismi toffee bars of yore. That declaration probably dates me, but hey, if you loved those little toffees in the red wax paper, you’ll love this confection. 🙂
2. These don’t store well and are best eaten on the same day.