These bars are crammed with all the healthy stuff you need for a Grab and Go breakfast day. What’s not to like?
Don’t like almonds? Add pecans. Don’t want the cherries? Add cranberries. You get the idea!
It takes about 5 minutes to get the ingredients together, another 20-25 in the oven. That’s it. Breakfast is sorted for the next few days.
Carry along with you for breakfast on the run. Equally great for that mid morning snack or after the gym.
This makes about 8-10 bars.
1 cup dates, pureed
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 cup oats (I used porridge oats)
1 cup lightly toasted almond meal*
1/2 cup assorted nuts, chopped fine
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
1 cup dry fruit (I used a mix of cherries, blueberries, sultanas, currants, cranberries, mixed with some candied orange peel)
2 tablespoons Weetabix, crushed (or wheat bran)
a pinch of salt
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Oil or butter to grease the pan
3/4 teaspoon all spice (optional)
1. Preheat oven to Gas 4 (350 F) for about 10 minutes.
2. Grease the baking pan.
3. Mix all dry ingredients together. Then add in the wet ingredients and give it a good stir.
4. Press the mix into a pan ensuring that it’s evenly distributed.
5. Bake until edges start to turn golden for about 20-25 minutes.
6. Cut into bars or squares once cooled.
1. You could also add 1-2 tsp of ground flaxseeds to the mix, before baking.
2. I like my bars dense and chewy. If you prefer a lighter version, you could use 1/2 cup almond meal and 1/2 cup slivered almonds.