This is my go-to option when I am rushing home from work and don’t have much time to cook.
The beauty of tacos is that you can really go to town with the fillings/ toppings or keep it simple for a quick weeknight supper ready in 30 minutes!
This version serves 2. Can easily be doubled, tripled, quadrupled….you get the picture.
Click the thumbnails below to view a step by step guide to building your tacos.
1 x 400 gram can of baked beans
1 large carrot, grated
1 green pepper (capsicum), diced
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 small onion or 2 salad onions, chopped fine (optional)
75 – 100 grams of grated cheddar
Optional – Roasted and shredded chicken or last night’s minced meat
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180 C for 10 minutes and place the taco trays to bake for 12-15 minutes. Timings may vary with the kind or the brand you use. They are ready when they are golden in colour.
- Chop, grate and prep the veggies while the taco trays are in the oven.
- Serve each filling/ topping in a small bowl for everyone to help themselves.
- Serve 5-6 taco trays per head and let them assemble their own as they go along.
- Dinner is served!
1. Toppings/fillings can extend to sweet corn, black beans, pineapple…the list is endless. So long as you have a combination of protein, carbs and veggies you’ll have a healthy meal.
2. We prefer taco trays so that the toppings don’t fall out with every bite you take. The regular tacos are just as good and it’s quite simple to make them on your own too. Click this link to learn more.